Friday, July 30, 2010

DIY

Over the past several weeks David has been exchanging emails with a Photography/Videography company. One of the last emails asked about expedited turn around time for the video (approximately 5 months time). The reason I wanted the video this fast was because approximately 5.5 months after we are wedded, we are planning to take our honeymoon/trip to Vietnam (VN) and wanted to take the video to my grandmother. The company indicated that they did not want to jeopardize the integrity of the final product and would not be able to finish in that short amount of time. I called my mom last night to ask her if we were still planning to go to VN around the tentative date, since she would be with us for the first week before we take off to go exploring. I explained to her the video situation and she responded with, “Well, we didn’t want to worry you and this is why I didn’t say anything sooner, but your dad is getting laid off. The VN trip may be delayed now.” Not worry? It’s instinctual to worry! My dad got on the phone and try to tell me that is was not a big deal and the main thing that we (including them) should worry about is the wedding. How can I possibly think about the wedding and spending this kind of change when my dad will not be working? My dad will be 60 this Sunday and it will be much harder for him to find a job, especially with knowing only 1 trade. Well, I am grateful that at least my mom got over her illness while they had medical insurance.

I think (and am almost positive) that the day that David asked my dad for permission to marry me, my mom and dad have been planning and putting all of their interest and energy into the matter. My mom got her entire outfit planned out for the day of almost 2 years in advance. My dad had his own checklist for us almost 2 years out. My mom and dad made a guest list almost immediately after we got engaged. I am overjoyed that they love David so much and want the best for the event, but I really want them to step it down a notch now with what has transpired.

These next couple of weeks David and I will really have to think about what to do as far as vendors goes and what is a necessity for the wedding. Although my parents are not paying for the wedding, they have offered us a monetary gift. We need to reassess the overall game plan so that we can help out my parents. This most likely means to re-evaluate each vendor (thank goodness we have not signed major contracts yet with the exception of the venue and planner) and maybe visit some more for the better price or consider a lesser quality. Maybe now I can find my inner Martha Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment