Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not so desperately seeking...

Dear Potential Vendors of all sizes, locations, and types:

In order to earn our business and our referrals, my (ours) requirement from any vendor is promptness. Promptness for correspondences, appointments, and turnaround time for final product.

Correspondence: I have worked with customers/clients my entire life. Regardless of my schedule or workload, I ALWAYS respond to the client within 2 business hours. I feel that it is one of the most essential factors that keeps the clients happy and keeps them returning to the business. Even if I respond to the client indicating that I will need more time to look into the item, at least I give them the assurance that I have acknowledged their request.

Appointments: Nothing is more disrespectful than to think that one person’s time is more valuable than the next person’s. “If you are early you are on time. If you are on time you are late. If you are late- don’t bother coming”. I wish everyone lived by this rule. My parents, however, takes this to the extreme. One time we agreed to meet at a restaurant at 5:30 for dinner. My parents called me at 4:45 and says “We’re here, where are you at?”. REALLY? Despite the stereotypes of Asians are usually late you can always count on my parents to be there and ready to go at least 30 minutes early. David and I are usually at least 15 minutes early. Nothing bothers us more than someone that is late. Wait, cross that out. Nothing bothers us more than someone running late and informing us after the fact that they are already late to let us know they are running late.

Turnaround:

Us: How long will this take?
Them: About 2 weeks.
Us: Great, thanks.

3 weeks later….(insert chirping crickets)

Us: Hi, is my item ready?
Them: Sorry, not yet. Maybe another 2 weeks?

**sigh** If you give me a time table of when an item will be completed, please stick to that time table. Ideally (and this is what I always do), if something generally takes 2 weeks add some cushion time, like an extra week. No one can predict problems that may come up such as weather, delivery, technology errors, family emergencies…but with the cushion time everyone should end up satisfied. If you cushioned your table to 4 weeks and I get my product back in 2, extra double fudge brownie points for you. If you tell me 2 weeks and it takes 6 weeks to get the item back, 1) you better had called me to let me know there will be a delay so I can make arrangements; 2) you better have a pretty good excuse; 3) if 1 & 2 was not done, you better hope I am happy when I come and pick up my product. #3 is not a threat, just more of an FYI ;)

Sincerely,


Not necessarily Wedding Vendor seekers but all general vendor seekers

No comments:

Post a Comment